Alaska

Alaska
My Log Cabin in Alaska

Thursday, September 6, 2012

DIY Dilemma

I do it my self!

It is one of the first things you will hear from a precocious toddler, and probably one of the last things you will hear from anyone else. Sadly I am one of those from the latter group. If someone else can do it, I can too! And I want to do it, and I want to do it my way. Now, class, can anyone tell me what is wrong with that picture. Maybe this clue will help. You know the two guys on that cool cable show where they try to disprove various claims of how things work (and they like to blow things up, too) What is the first thing they say at the beginning of every show. “Don’t try this at home, we are professionals and we have had years to practice, a team to help us, and we have all the tools and safety gear in place already. We are the professionals.

See my hackles raise up in defense, my pupils dilate and my blood pressure raise at the thought of a challenge? And see me sitting here in the unemployment line and still without a published work? I guess that is how it works in the real world. I look in the mirror and I see a roaring lion, and I suppose that is a good thing, I have a good self image, but do I have a realistic image. Time to do one of those self diagnosis test things that computer do to make sure that all their parts are working correctly. 1. Do I have the knowledge, 2. Do I have the skills, 3. Do I have the tools, 4. Do I have the experience, 5. Do I have the support or financial backing, 6. Do I have the space and time, 7. Do I have the stamina to see this thing through to the end. And something tells me that I only have a small part of that ‘prep’ list that I need to check off before I can even begin my next DIY project (or consider that my next book is finished and ready for the publisher).



Am I being true to myself now, or am I showing my age? Maybe I am just now, finally, getting to the point where I am mature enough to admit that sometimes I cannot do it all myself and that I do need to follow a prescribed set of guidelines. (see the other self screaming in the background ‘but what about Einstein!) In order to be on the cutting edge of anything, you must know the basics so well that you can, are able to, push the envelope. You cannot push the envelope until you truly know what that envelope is. How can I say it better? I saw a special on TV about a guy who did trick diving (swimming pool diving) The one thing he made sure he told his audience was that you must know how to do it right before you can safely do it wrong.

That does not mean that anyone who desires to set off on their own should not be encouraged to do so, Nay! I concede and fully understand that one must have that extra energy it takes to create something that has not been created before. One must have the courage to step out on a limb and take a risk with something wild and new. And if the desire and idea is there, then the courage must be there as well. But if one wishes to DIY, one needs the education and background even more than the mainstream group who is willing to follow the guidelines without a challenge. Otherwise one’s project, whether it is a hand built log cabin in the woods, a cool car restoration project, or the next ‘Harry Potter’ or ‘Hunger Games’ series, will look like a ramshackle mess, unfinished and uninspiring, and alas, unsold.

So how does that concept fit in with the pre-planning and teamwork thing, and how does it fit in with my own DIY personality? I have no idea, I am still working on that one myself!

Any words of encouragement or new ideas to share? Click on that Comment button down there and share them!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment