Alaska

Alaska
My Log Cabin in Alaska

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bake-O-Mania!



 I really could do a better job with this blog, but it’s November and I am participating in National Novel Writing Month, Nanowrimo.org and I am attempting to get an entire book written in just 30 days. Hey, I am having trouble keeping up with my regular routine, add in this contest thing and I am just goofy. But I promised myself that I would keep up with this little blog. And I am trying to spruce up my little garden by talking about more than just one topic, so…..

 

It's Time To Bake!

 

It’s fall, getting close to Thanks Giving and all that cool baking. If you are anything like me it’s going to be a bake fest until sometime after the first of the year when we will all be sadly looking at our bathroom scales and wondering what ever made us eat so much!

Well, face it, nothing anyone can say is going to change that little fact, we, like bears going into hibernation, engage in hyperphagia during the holidays, even if we think we are just eating a little bit at a time. But, here is the cool thing: I’m not going to say a thing to try to talk you or me out of it. That is what the Holidays are for, munching down with the fam.

In fact, I’m going to offer a cool recipe that I love and have used for years and years, even used it in a summer school program. Yeah, you know me, madam Do-It-Myself, I make my own bisquick mix. Why is this actually better for you? Less salt, whole wheat flour.

I make up a double batch every time because I use it that much. I put in a link to the website, too, because I can’t possibly add in all the cool recipes that come with this mix. No kidding, not just biscuits and pancakes, they have cookies, cakes, dumplings, even pie crust. I made an apple cobbler just today with this cool stuff.

Do yourself a favor and give this a look.

Smaller batch of Missouri Mix

  • 8 cups flour (all-purpose, whole wheat or any combination)
                            (3 c whole wheat, 5 c unbleached works well for me)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1-1/2 cups shortening

Makes 11 cups mix.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Sift to assure even distribution of ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mix is the consistency of cornmeal. I make it easy on myself and I use my pretty Kitchen aid Mixer.

For the rest of the marvelous recipes and ideas please look at the website, it is the University of Missouri Extension Office, the 4-H people.  http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1055

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment